ADSM-L

Re: New Backup Process

2005-08-17 12:10:49
Subject: Re: New Backup Process
From: Pétur Eyþórsson <petur.e AT NYHERJI DOT IS>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:08:25 +0000

Ok Aaron

you can find the sofware on this ftp site to download for free
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/tivoli-storage-management/maintenance/server/v5r3/

you can then setup your tsm server and configure it, and when you revicve the accual cd´s you only need to replace one file to make it a licensed version it think the filename is adsmlic.dll (windows) or something like that.

now there is no one correct way in deploying TSM, you need to configure it based on your needs. i recomend you read the 2 ibm redbooks  "IBM Tivoli Storage Management Concepts, SG24-4877-03" and "IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Implementation Guide".

I storngly recomend that you plan your installation carefully, a good tsm install is essential for everything, both regarding cost and managment. A good TSM install can bring tears of joy to every administrator eyes, but a bad one can quicly turn into your worst nigthmare.

so my tip for you

rule 1. planning
rule 2. planning
rule 3. more planning

Kær kveðja / Best regards,
Pétur Eyþórsson  · Tæknilegur ráðgjafi eServer & Storage · Tivoli Advanced Storage Solutons Techical Expert
 · MCSE · SNIA Professional  ·  SNIA FC-SAN Practitioner  ·  IBM C AIX S · TSM CP · TSRM CP · TASS DP · IBM SAN P
Sími/tel: +354 569-7700 · GSM: +354 863-0560
www.nyherji.is

AARON BECAR <ab032 AT BYUH DOT EDU>

17.08.2005 03:00
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc
Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] New Backup Process

I am seeking to find the Try and Buy for 60 days for the IBM TSM
Software.  We are switching our backup process to TSM and I just wanted
to practice the install and test a few things out before we do a full
implementation.  I noticed in all of the Red and White Papers that there
is a CD that can be ordered from IBM.  I was also looking for some
planning suggestions to prepare for the installation of TSM.  In my
previous job experience I have used MAPICS to do backup and recovery.

Thanks!

Aaron