ADSM-L

Resourceutilization & Backup Question

2005-08-17 10:32:58
Subject: Resourceutilization & Backup Question
From: Debbie Bassler <Deborah_Bassler AT PAPAJOHNS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:31:36 -0400
Is there any benefit to having the resourceutilization parameter set to 5
when the backup is collocated? The other sessions go into media wait
status, waiting on a tape that one of the other sessions is using. Does
this cause contention, slowing the server down?

Also, I have another question. I'm not sure anyone else uses this
technique, but, I'll throw it out there any way. We do hot backups on our
oracle databases via a command script using TSM. We create filelists for
our files.  A hot backup means the database can be updated while the backup
is running. We usually run our backup at 9:00 PM, it backs up 200G of data,
and takes approx 5 hours to complete. However, due to some maintenance we
wanted to do  yesterday, we started the backup at 4:30 PM. It had only
backed up 130G of data in 5 hours. In an effort to start the maintenance, I
cancelled the backup. However, it was decided a good backup was needed, so,
we put the maintenance off until tonight. I started the backup, again, last
night at 22:35 and it took 5 hr and 25 minutes to complete the 201G backup.

I can't understand why the big time difference. There was no more activity
in TSM during the slow backup than there is when the backup normally
executes.

We have an internal Gig switch in our SP environment. Our server level is
5.1.1 and the client level is 5.1.1.5.

We're going to bring the database down, at 4:30 this afternoon, and perform
the backup again. I need to ensure it will execute in the allotted 5 hour
time frame. We don't want to have people waiting 5 hours in hopes of
performing maintenace, just to send them home again.

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks for any help,
Debbie