ADSM-L

Tape Usage Forecasting

2005-08-12 15:26:37
Subject: Tape Usage Forecasting
From: "Etchison, Jim (SBS US)" <james.etchison AT SIEMENS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:11:08 -0400
Greetings,

This is my first posting to this list, so please forgive me if this is
not the right type of question or the right group to ask.

I am currently a Client Manager for a large corporation that uses TSM as
its backup solution. TSM seems to be working very well for my client,
with one glaring exception: tape usage forecasting.

On a number of occasions I have had to "surprise" my client by telling
them they needed to buy thousands of more tapes. The first few times
this has been forgiven, but with each successive request, they have
gotten more and more irritated. From what I have been told by my Storage
Manager, TSM does not have any Tape Forecasting capabilities. But from a
business standpoint, this is a very real need because it is a
substantial cost.

At this point I am left with no option but to continue suprising my
customer, which is not a career-enhancing choice. :)

My question is this: how have others resolved this dilemma? Is there an
add-on product that can be purchased that might solve this?

Any help would be welcome. Thanks!