ADSM-L

Re: SMNP Monitoring again....

2005-08-10 14:23:49
Subject: Re: SMNP Monitoring again....
From: Rejean Larivee <rlarivee AT CA.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:23:17 -0300
Hello,
the SNMPSUBAGENTHOST option is used to identify the host with runs the
dsmsnmp process, the TSM snmp subagent. The default value is
127.0.0.1, i.e, the TSM server and dsmsnmp process running on the
same node.

You also have the SNMPSUBAGENT option which identifies the host
running a DPI-enabled SNMP agent. This may or may not be on the same
machine as the TSM server. The default is also the localhost.

This DPI-enabled agent then needs to be configured to forward
the traps to the snmp manager, Sysedge in your case, which may
may or may not be on the same machine at the TSM server or the
DPI-enable agent.

The default DPI-enabled agent that comes with AIX is the "dpid2" agent.
 So, for the default snmp configuration on AIX, you would have
       dsmserv --> dsmsnmp --> dpid2 --> snmpd.

Your messages below appear to indicate that the dsmsnmp process
is unable to contact the DPI-enable agent. In the case of a default snmp
configuration as per above, it would indicate that the dsmsnmp process
was unable to contact the dpid2 DPI agent.

So, check your SNMPSUBAGENT option and verify that the host identified
by the option has a DPI-enabled agent up and running, ready to receive
connections from the dsmsnmp process.

Have a great day !

Rejean Larivee
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support

Visit our new IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support page:
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

Expand IBM Tivoli product knowledge through our Support Technical Exchange.
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/supp_tech_exch.html

             "Hart, Charles"
             <charles.hart@MED
             TRONIC.COM>                                                To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     SMNP Monitoring again....

             08/08/2005 03:36
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"

I know this has been asked many times... but our AIX box uses Sysedge as
the SNMP Monitor not the base os SNMP.  Anyone else using tsm's subagent
with other SNMP daemons other than the default os agent?  Are the
SNMPSUBAGENTHOST, SNMPSUBAGENTPORT options only used if you're having
multiple tsm servers passing snmp througfh one tsm server?

I added the following to the
dsmserv.conf
Commethod SNMP
SNMPMESSAGECATEGORY SEVERITY

How does the dsmsnmp subagent know to send it's traps to sysedge?

ANR0900I Processing options file dsmserv.opt.

dpi_main.c - DPI main 1.0.22 - Compiled Nov  5 2004 at 15:13:20
Tracing set to 56
   8 DPI-lvl1
  16 DPI-lvl2
  32 Internal-lvl1
DPI Debug turned ON (level 2)
DPI Debug code not available
snmp_mDPI.c - DPI Version 2.0.26, Nov 30 1997, Compiled Mar 30 2002 at
15:20:16
dpi_main.c (914) rc=-2 from DPIconnect_to_agent_TCP()
dpi_main.c (924) rc=-9 from DPIconnect_to_agent_SHM()
ANR4681W Connect to SNMP agent failed, will keep trying.

I'm so confused...

Thanks in advance!