ADSM-L

TSM db restore to new hardware

2005-08-03 07:34:34
Subject: TSM db restore to new hardware
From: Copperfield Adams <Copperfield.Adams AT WWAVRC.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 12:34:10 +0100
Hi all,

I have a question regarding hardware migration:

Our current system is TSM 5.2.2.4 on a Win2k server with a SCSI attached
3583. We have purchased new server hardware (we will be using Win2k3)
and an ADIC i2000 library with 4x LTO2 SCSI drives. The library is being
attached to the new server at the moment and I will need to migrate to
the new setup as soon as possible. I am hoping I will be able to run a
db backup on the current system and restore to the new system (I'm
assuming I will need to delete and redefine drives, library, paths and
storage pools once 'Server1' is started on the new system?).

Has anybody carried out a similar task and if so can you offer any
advice on the best way to migrate from our current setup to the new? I
will be installing TSM (5.2.2.4) to the new server today or tomorrow -
our current db volume is on the local D: drive but will live on the E:
drive of the new server - will it be possible to restore to E:? Should I
use 'dsmfmt -db' and 'dsmfmt -log' to create the appropriate volumes? A
friend has suggested creating a new devc of 'file', running a db backup
to use this devc and then copying the backup across to the new server to
use for the db restore rather than trying to mount a tape in the new
library - would this be possible?

I would be very grateful for any advice or suggestions, many thanks.

Copperfield Adams

IT Support Analyst

E-Mail : copperfield.adams AT wwavrc.co DOT uk

intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
Any views or opinions presented or expressed are those of the
author(s) and may not necessarily represent those of the Company or of
any WWAV Rapp Collins Group Company and no representation is
given nor liability accepted for the accuracy or completeness of any
information contained in this email unless expressly stated to the
contrary.

If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail in
error, you may not use, disseminate, forward, print or copy it, but
please notify the sender that you have received it in error.

Whilst we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any
attachment to this e-mail has been swept for viruses, we cannot accept
liability for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and
would advise that you carry out your own virus checks before opening
any attachment. Please note that communications sent by or to any
person through our computer systems may be viewed by other
company personnel and agents.

Registered Office: 1 Riverside, Manbre Road, London W6 9WA

service is powered by MessageLabs.