ADSM-L

Re: Backup taking too long

2005-08-01 13:33:11
Subject: Re: Backup taking too long
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:32:54 -0700
MEMORYEFFICIENTBACKUP YES will indeed cause backups to run slower (it's a
trade-off between TSM memory requirements and performance).

You might take a look at article 1197422  on the IBM web site, which
describes memory requirements for the client. I suspect that the
"out-of-memory" issues you are seeing are because you are exceeding the 2
GB limit that TSM has for allocating memory when MEMORYEFFICIENTBACKUP NO
(the default) is used. While this does not represent a formal announcement
or commitment, we are targeting a change to the Windows client that will
permit it to use up to 3 GB of memory as long as the system is booted with
the /3GB option in boot.ini (consult Microsoft for more info about the
/3GB option). This change should afford approximately 50% increase in the
number of files that can be supported without having to resort to
MEMORYEFFICIENTBACKUP YES.

If you can divide the volume into 2 or more logical shares, as you
propose, then you should be able to go back to MEMORYEFFICIENTBACKUP NO
and buy back some performance. Unless there is a compelling reason to do
so, in general, I'd suggest carving the drive up into as few shares as
possible in order to make them more easily manageable (just a thought...).

Note that having the TSM client read data across the network for backup
will inherently incur a performance penalty.

Note that setting RESOURCEUTILIZATION to a value > 10 is undocumented.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-08-01
09:19:21: