ADSM-L

tape utility for sony ait-2, anyone?

2005-07-26 09:09:47
Subject: tape utility for sony ait-2, anyone?
From: Rainer Schöpf <rainer.schoepf AT PROTEOSYS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:10:40 +0200
Hello,

I've been trying to access our Sony ait-2 drives using the ibm ntutil.exe,
to no avail. ntutil doesn't recognize the tape drives. OK, so I concluded
that it only works for IBM drives. Is this correct?

I downloaded and installed the Sony tape drive utility - which claims that
there are no Sony tape drives around (although it sees the devices on the
SCSI bus and even shows their identification as Sony SDX 500C). I suspect
it works only if I install the Sony tape driver.

Oh, and yes, I shutdown the TSM server before trying to access the tape
drives.

Any ideas how to proceed?

Opearting System: Windows Server 2003 SP1
TSM Version: 5.2.4.0
Library Qualstar TLS 4210
Drives 2xSony AIT-2 SDX 500C

Output of "Q drive" is typically:

                                Library Name: LB2.0.0.3
                                  Drive Name: MT3.0.0.3
                                 Device Type: 8MM
                                     On-Line: Yes
                                Read Formats: AITC,AIT
                               Write Formats: AITC,AIT
                                     Element: 63.000
                                 Drive State: EMPTY
                                Allocated to:
                                         WWN: 08004606C00DFC75
                               Serial Number: 0000916597
              Last Update by (administrator): SCHOEPF
                       Last Update Date/Time: 25.07.2005 16:22:03
Cleaning Frequency (Gigabytes/ASNEEDED/NONE): NONE

Thanks in advance
  Rainer Schöpf