ADSM-L

TDP's and Encryption and 5.3, Oh My....

2005-07-21 14:36:24
Subject: TDP's and Encryption and 5.3, Oh My....
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:36:12 -0400
OK, I'll admit it, I read the TSM 5.3 announcement doc and I don't
understand it.  t says:
The encryption available for backup-archive data with
Tivoli Storage Manager is upgraded from 56-bit DES to
128-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES). Encryption
is now also available for applications using the Tivoli
Storage Manager API, which includes the Tivoli Storage
Manager Data Protection Clients for applications and
databases. New support for automatic key management
can help enable use of encryption with API applications,
often without any changes to the applications.
The Tivoli Storage Manager V5.3 API and the Tivoli
Storage Manager V5.3 server are required to exploit data
encryption for the Data Protection components.
---
So, that implies that you CAN expoit data encryption for the Data
Protection components, but I can't find any doc on how.

-I know that you can turn on 128 bit encryption with a TSM 5.3 Windows
or *IX client and a TSM 5.3 server.
-I THINK you can turn on 128 bit encryption with a TSM 5.3 Windows or
*IX client and a TSM 5.2.2 server (can anybody comment on that?).
-I don't see any doc that says how to turn on encryption for the Data
Protection component for Oracle or MSSQL.  I've looked at the API doc
that has the encryption SUPPORT, but don't see anything that says the
TDP's are actually using it.

SO, is this announcement just a "statement of direction", or what?  Or
will there be encryption support in the TDP's for 5.3, whenever they
arrive?  Somebody kindly point me to the right doc?

Thanks