ADSM-L

Re: ANR9999D pkthread.c(1037): ThreadId<31> Unable to create new Thread....

2005-07-21 09:11:46
Subject: Re: ANR9999D pkthread.c(1037): ThreadId<31> Unable to create new Thread....
From: Neil Schofield <neil.schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:10:33 +0100
Bo

I suggest you use Perfmon to monitor your non-paged pool availability
(Memory -> Pool Nonpaged Bytes).

We run our servers on Windows with a BUFPOOLSIZE of 524288 (ie 131,072
pages). This allows us to run two TSM instances per Windows box. (It's an
MSCS cluster, so we have to cater for the failover scenario where both
instances are on the one cluster node.) We've successfully run a single
instance with BUFPOOLSIZE set to 1048576.

The factor that prevented us increasing BUFPOOLSIZE any further was nothing
to do with physical memory, but the non-paged pool exhaustion. This occurs
because every extra page of buffer pool requires a certain number of
handles. If you monitor the handle count for the DSMSVC.EXE process, you'll
see it reaches astronomical proportions with large BUFPOOLSIZEs. This has a
knock-on effect on the non-paged pool.

The relevant article is here:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/entdocview.wss?uid=swg21112140

Last time I spoke to IBM support about this, they suggested that 64-bit
Windows would give a larger nonpaged pool and therefore allow a larger
BUFPOOLSIZE.

Regards
Neil Schofield
Yorkshire Water Services Ltd.

Visit www.yorkshirewater.com to find out about our new photography competition.

YORKSHIRE WATER - WINNER OF THE UTILITY OF THE YEAR AWARD

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available at http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm
Yorkshire Water Services Limited
Registered Office Western House Halifax Road Bradford BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682