ADSM-L

"forcing" laptop backups ?

2005-07-18 09:49:24
Subject: "forcing" laptop backups ?
From: goc <goran.k AT VIP DOT HR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:49:05 +0200
hi all,
long ago someone gived this brief explanation how to "force" backup on
laptops
considering the fact that they are not on the network all the time ...
"_You can't "force" the backup as you describe, but you can come close....
define a schedule for laptop users that spans a 24-hour window and have
the scheduler service running at bootup. Use SCHEDMODE POLLING. The
scheduler will try to contact the server every 20 minutes. When the user
connects to the network, sometime within the next 20 minutes the scheduler
will
be able to contact the server, and if the schedule has not yet been
executed,
it will run."

this is okay, but as in my previos post i'm confused how the schedule on
laptop shoould run, as service configured trough wizard or dsmcad service,
what's the difference ? if any ... (confused), further more how should
schedule on tsm server look like ? something like this ?
     Policy Domain Name LAPTOP
     Schedule Name LAPTOP_SCHED_24_FULL
     Description schedule 24h za laptope - full
     Action INCREMENTAL
     Options -
     Objects -
     Priority 5
     Start date 2005-05-03
     Start time 08:00:00
     Duration -
     Duration units INDEFINITE
     Period -
     Period units ONETIME
     Day of Week WEEKDAY
     Expiration -
     Last Update Date/Time 2005-07-18 15:49:42.000000
     Last Update by (administrator) GORAN
     Managing profile -

meaning that on weekdays every client that has been cought on the network
will begin to backup
somewhere in next 20 minutes ? what is confusing me is the duration units
and period units parameter,
does in this example means that schedule is runing on the server non-stop,
or how ?

thanks a lot for any clue, i really appreciate you time in solving or
helping me in this mystery :-)

reagards,

goran konjich
senior unix admin