ADSM-L

Re: Retention Request Problem

2005-07-15 14:11:17
Subject: Re: Retention Request Problem
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:11:02 -0400
==> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:06:42 PDT, Sam Sheppard <SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT
GOV> said:

> Our main customer is having some potential legal problems and has made the
> following request:

> "I am requesting that all File Server Backups taken prior to June 15, 2005
> be preserved pending further instructions."

Well, when you get extreme requests...

I've thought about just such a request, and I came up with:

- Disable client access on the TSM server in question
- Disable expiration scheduling on the TSM server in question
- Start generating N backupsets at a time, where N is your count of beefy tape
  drives, divided by 2. :)   You are collocated, right?

Huge disruption of ongoing backup work, yes.  But it's a hugely disruptive
request.  Then send complainers to the legal folks.

Luckily, while 4-5 TB of data is still rather a lot, with current tech it
ought to be doable in one or two 24-hour days.

Unless you're non-collocated.  Shudder.

- Allen S. Rout