ADSM-L

Retention Request Problem

2005-07-15 12:07:11
Subject: Retention Request Problem
From: Sam Sheppard <SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:06:42 PDT
Our main customer is having some potential legal problems and has
made the following request:

"I am requesting that all File Server Backups taken prior to June 15,
2005 be preserved pending further instructions."

My immediate response was 'easier said than done'.  I'm not clear on
what the effect would be of changing the retention policies of retain
extra and retain only copy to 'nolimit'.  I'm assuming such a change
would affect all existing inactive copies and prevent them from rolling
off.  Or would it only affect subsequent backups?

Also, since all clients in a domain are not necessarily going to be
under this edict (I find out later this morning), could I create a new
domain with 'nolimit' policy, move the affected clients to it and expect
the new policy (same management class name) to be picked up by the
inactive files on the next backup?

I'm hoping that after today's meeting where the difficulties of
complying to this kind of 'get in your time machine and make a June 15
archive' request are made clear that I won't have the problem.  But
I can't be sure.  At minimum, I'm hoping that the scope can be limited
since we're talking over 200 clients and 4-5 TB of data.

Thanks
Sam Sheppard
San Diego Data Processing Corp.
(858)-581-9668