ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Exchange 5.2.1.0 Policy clarification

2005-07-14 17:13:19
Subject: Re: TDP for Exchange 5.2.1.0 Policy clarification
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:12:34 -0400
Steve,

All backups of the same name (type) will have the same management class.
You cannot back up "certain" full backups and direct them to
a different management class. All previous full backups will get
rebound to management class for that invocation. It works the same
way as the base file-level client.

COPY backups are named differently, thus can be bound by name to
a different management class. You need to use COPY backups to bind
them to a different management class.. otherwise... the previous
full backups which you think are being kept forever... won't be.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 07/14/2005
04:10:15 PM:

> I have a separate command script for the weekly/monthly fulls that
directs
> the data to a special mgmtclass.  I really want to avoid defining a 3rd
> nodename for these machines.
>
> What is your reason for using "COPY" backups instead of fulls?  Since
both
> the expiring and non-expiring fulls are available to use for restore,
why
> not commit the logs?
>
> Thanks,
> -steve

Del
> Hoobler
> Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 3:12 PM
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TDP for Exchange 5.2.1.0 Policy clarification
>
> Steve,
>
> The Daily and Hourly settings look fine to me.
>
> How are you performing your monthly/weekly "fulls"?
> You should either make them "COPY" type backups and bind the "COPY"
backups
> to a different management class with the policy settings with
> NOLimit/NOLimit/NOLimit/NOLimit or use a different NODENAME for those
> backups, and make the full backups use the policy settings with
> NOLimit/NOLimit/NOLimit/NOLimit
>
> Thanks,
>
> Del

> "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 07/14/2005
> 12:01:07 PM:
>
> > TSM server 5.2.4.3
> >
> > We are changing some policies for our Exchange environment and after
> reading
> > the TDP user guide I am questioning if my previous assumptions are
> correct.
> >
> > We were planning on using the following policy:
> >
> > Daily fulls expiring after 5 days
> > Hourly incrementals expiring after 3 days Weekly or Monthly (dependant
> > on each server's deleted item retention)
> fulls
> > that never expire
> >
> > Is this a valid policy, assuming that any full backup older than 3
> > days
> is
> > basically a "snapshot", and not usable for bringing data back to the
> minute?
> >
> > Is this a valid backup copy group setting
> (VerExist/VerDel/RetXtra/RetOnly):
> >
> >    Fulls - nl/nl/5/5
> >    Incr - nl/nl/3/3
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > Steve Schaub
> Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee
E-mail