ADSM-L

TSM Client 5.3 Error ANS1028S when trying to backup directories with "EDC8134I Stale file handle"

2005-07-14 04:36:47
Subject: TSM Client 5.3 Error ANS1028S when trying to backup directories with "EDC8134I Stale file handle"
From: Werner Nussbaumer <werner.nussbaumer AT UBS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:36:33 +0200
Hi all

for the following question a user gave me an answer:

Where a file server is that cranky and can't be fixed, I would take
such file systems out of TSM scheduled backups and instead
conditionally run them from a client OS script which performed tests
on the viability of the served file system before unleashing a dsmc
Incremental on it. I would not expect TSM client software to contend
with unreliable file systems.

    Richard Sims

I mean, yes, I could just exclude those file spaces if I would have knew in
advance.

My question is: there are occasionally such file systems (I don't know what
developpers are dowing), however it is hard to predict.

But still my question:

How can I avoid that dsm simply stops further backups but instead how can I
instruct dsmc not to backup such filespaces or how is it possible create some
sort of "exclude" list. Nevertheles my question still remains: Why dsmc
produces an internal program error? I was able to scan through all directories
with a C or JAVA program. When there was a stale file handle my programs
continued to scan the next file handle.

Also is there any PTF? What is the statement of IBM?

Thanks four your help
Regards
Werner Nussbaumer