ADSM-L

Re: Quantum PX720/ HP ESL 712e

2005-07-12 11:25:07
Subject: Re: Quantum PX720/ HP ESL 712e
From: "George, Jason" <Jason.George AT VALERO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:24:52 -0500
Hey Robin-

We use one of those- just the single unit, no expansion frame.  We were
one of the first to get this library and we had issues with our SAN
configurations.  HP actually released a service code upgrade based on
their research and work with us.  We also disabled the HP software (the
library was too smart for its own good).

It's a pretty solid unit, but it takes a while to boot up.  Regarding
another frame- you have to fill all the drive slots in the first cabinet
before you can put drives in the second cabinet.  Also, there's an
additional mechanism (another arm) that flips the tapes over to load
them when coming across the other frame.  Which adds another point of
failure into the process.

Also, on this library, we use HP Data Protector, not TSM.  So in regards
to that, I can't offer any advice.

To sum it up- single frame experience is good. Double-frame, not so sure
about.

PS- On a side note: Anyone have experience with the Spectrum libraries
and their tera-paks?  -JG