ADSM-L

Re: TDP SQL Question

2005-07-11 10:10:39
Subject: Re: TDP SQL Question
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:10:19 -0400
Jeff,

It looks like you forgot to specify the correct
option file on the launch of the GUI. You are specifying the
the correct SQL Server instance... but you also need to
tell Data Protecion for SQL what TSM API options file to use
(which tells it which NODENAME to use):

For instance 1:
   TDPSQL /sqlserver=serverx\instance1
/tsmoptfile=c:\tsm\tdpsql\tdpnode1.opt

For instance 2:
   TDPSQL /sqlserver=serverx\instance2
/tsmoptfile=c:\tsm\tdpsql\tdpnode2.opt

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 07/11/2005
09:36:36 AM:

> Firstly, i apologise for initially posting this without a subject line!
> (untitled). So......
>
> Hi,
>
> I have an interesting TDP for SQL problem. Similar issues have been
> addressed many times on the forum, but this is a bit different, i think.
>
> I have:
> Windows server running multiple (x2) SQL server instances
> SQL server called SERVERX
> One instance called INSTANCE1 and the other called INSTANCE2
> TDP
> TSM 5.2.2 server on Z/os 1.5
>
> My configuration:
> I have defined two TDP nodes, i.e. TDPNODE1 and TDPNODE2
> Two DSM.OPT files (TDPNODE1.opt and TDPNODE2.opt) with appropraite node
> names
> Command files (one for log, one for incremental and one for full
backups).
> This is the contents of the LOG command file:
>
> @ECHO OFF
> set sql_dir="C:\Tsm\TDPSql"
> cd /d %sql_dir%
> echo Current date is:>> C:\TSM\tdpsql\logs\sqlbkup.log
> date /t < NUL >> C:\TSM\tdpsql\logs\sqlbkup.log
> echo Current time is:>> C:\TSM\tdpsql\logs\sqlbkup.log
> time /t < NUL >> C:\TSM\tdpsql\logs\sqlbkup.log
> start /b /wait tdpsqlc backup * log
/tsmoptfile=c:\tsm\tdpsql\tdpnode1.opt
> /logfile=c:\tsm\tdpsql\logs\sqlbkup.log
> start /b tdpsqlc backup * log /tsmoptfile=c:\tsm\tdpsql\tdpnode2.opt
> /logfile=c:\tsm\tdpsql\logs\sqlbkup.log /sqlserver=serverx\instance2
>
> Scheduled service
> TSM schedule with OBJECTS field using a command file on the windows
server
> I backup logs, daily incr and full weekly
>

> This configuration works just fine. I get two filespaces for each
nodename
> (meta and data for each).
> Node name is TDPNODE1
> Filespace name of SERVERX\TDPNODE1\meta\0000
> Filespace name of SERVERX\TDPNODE1\data\0001
> and
> Node name is TDPNODE2
> Filespace name of SERVERX\TDPNODE2\meta\0000
> Filespace name of SERVERX\TDPNODE2\data\0001
>
> My problem?
> Running via the schedule is good. The backups run and are written to the
> correct filespaces.
>
> If i run a backup for TDPNODE1 from the GUI, this works fine.
> But, if i run a backup for TDPNODE2 from the GUI, it creates filespaces
> with TDPNODE1 as the node name but  filespace names of
> SERVERX\TDPNODE2\meta\0000 and SERVERX\TDPNODE2\data\0001, and
increments
> the fsid count.
>
> So, the problem only occurs at the GUI. Yes, i have followed the red
book
> where it states clearly that to use the GUI for operations of another
SQL