ADSM-L

Re: Very slow restores (days), hours to locate files

2005-07-07 10:51:23
Subject: Re: Very slow restores (days), hours to locate files
From: Rejean Larivee <rlarivee AT CA.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:50:45 -0300
Hello Robin,
the TSM server does not maintain the LTO memory cartridge and would
therefore not be the source of the corruption. A corrupted memory cartridge
comes from defective media, faulty/dirty hardware/drive or
firmware/microcode
problem.
As others have already recommended, you should consider upgrading the
firmware of the LTO drives to take care of past problems with LTO CM.
It appears the latest firmware for the LTO GenII drives at this time is
53Y2,
for fiber attached drives. You can verify the firmware of your drives
using "lscfg -vl rmt*".
For a list of what is fixed in 53Y2, see here :
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=ssg1S1002360

Have a great day !

Rejean Larivee
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support

             Robin Sharpe
             <Robin_Sharpe@BER
             LEX.COM>                                                   To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: Very slow restores (days),
                                       hours to locate files

             07/06/2005 04:12
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"

Sorry about the omission, Rich.
These restores were started via the Windows GUI.  I believe they just
selected the C: drive and specified "Restore if newer" (an option which I
don't think is available via the command line!).  I believe this created a
No-Query Restore, because it did create a Restartable Restore.... AFAIK
there is a one-to-one correspondence (right?)

In the meantime, I checked the Technote...  Then, I checked my Activity Log
for the last 24 hours... and I found 33 LTO volumes that presented the
cartridge memory message!  So, now I have the smoking gun, and I suppose I
could do "move data" against those volumes, but I suspect there are many
more, and I would like to know what's causing the corruption and how to
prevent it!   If I don't hear anything from the group, I'll open a call
with Tivoli.

Thanks very much for the information!

-Robin

                      Richard Sims
                      <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
                      Sent by: "ADSM:  To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Dist Stor        cc:
                      Manager"         Subject:
                      <[email protected]         Re: Very slow restores
(days), hours to locate files
                      T.EDU>

                      07/06/2005 10:30
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to "ADSM: Dist
                      Stor Manager"

Please, everyone, when posting questions about restorals, give
details about the manner in which the restoral was invoked so that we
can get a sense of what kind is involved (NQR, Classic) and what is
involved.

Now...  Robin, have a look at IBM Technote 1209563, which I ran
across in doing research yesterday.  I recall such long-duration-
restores in the past, and as I recall they have involved the factors
noted in the Technote.  LTO is also known for backhitch delays, so
that's another contributor in positioning on tape.

    Richard Sims