ADSM-L

Re: RES: Very slow DB backups

2005-07-05 09:12:23
Subject: Re: RES: Very slow DB backups
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:10:55 -0500
I would be interested in that, if you'd care to keep posting updates.

Troy Frank
Network Services
University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation
608.829.5384

>>> Paul AT VANGUARD-IT.COM DOT BR 7/4/2005 4:03:41 PM >>>
Hello All,

   Just to keep you updated on my quest :)

   I began to modify some settings, and have already reduced the number of log
volumes from 10 to 2, and stgpool volumes from 108 to 6. Backups are a little
bit faster now, but I expect the gain to be bigger when I re-create the DB
volumes.
   I am very concerned about the expiration process. Analyzing the actlog, I
found out that the expiration process (two daily runs with DURATION=240 each)
is taking nearly a MONTH to process the same filespace again. I am not joking :(
   I also found out what might be the cause of the database size and expiration
performance (in addition to the volume allocation). Just look at the output of
a "select type,sum(num_files) as Files from occupancy group by type" command:

TYPE                         FILES
Arch                     384354353
Bkup                      35759844

   It seems that someone likes archiving. I am now in the process of replacing
the majority of these with backup operations.

   If there is interest, I can (maybe in private emails) post the results in
terms of changed made vs. performance improvement.

Best regards,

Paul