ADSM-L

Re: Storage Pool Backup Issue

2005-06-29 11:33:44
Subject: Re: Storage Pool Backup Issue
From: "Warren, Matthew (Retail)" <Matthew.Warren AT POWERGEN.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:33:07 +0100
Do you have the opportunity to use a scheduler that can track resource
use? We use a set of ^M scheduled jobs using a resource count and pool.
^M will feed in stgpool backup jobs according to how many drives they
will want and how many are free. It's the best way so far we have found
of maximizing drive use during multiple stgpool backups, unless you
start to cancel procs and re-submit the backups to use more drives as
they come available, or using some trickery to get backup stgpool
processes pre-empted; - I believe then the pre-empted threads work is
distributed amongst the processes that are left (or tacked on the end of
one..)

Which is a minor gripe of mine; if the pre-empt can allocate work to
other running processes for that backup stgpool, it feels like the
ability to add/remove drives (processes) to a backup stgpool process on
the fly is there but just out of reach....

Matt.