ADSM-L

Re: DB (Image) backups

2005-06-28 11:19:19
Subject: Re: DB (Image) backups
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:19:07 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Tab Trepagnier
>We are setting up SAN replication for DR.  I need some
>information on how to handle the TSM database.
>
>TSM 5.1.10.0 - soon to be TSM 5.3.(2?).x.
>AIX 5.2 ML-3 - soon to be AIX 5.3 ML-2+
>
>Now we have an EMC Clariion CX500 SAN and we're setting up SAN-to-SAN
>replication with our warm site.  We will have a TSM server
>staged at that
>site but it will be OFFLINE because of a shortage of live
>Fiber ports in a
>non-DR state.  Our drop-ship contract includes an FC switch.
>
>What we would like to do is backup the DB - full and
>incremental - to the
>SAN and replicate those backups to the warm site's SAN.  Recovery would
>involve connecting the staged recovery server to the target
>LUN and then restore the replicated database volumes.
>
>Questions:
>* Would that work??
>* If I wanted to continue the DB backups to tape in parallel - in other
>words, maintain two DB backup sequences - how would I do that?
>* The Backup DB command offers a Type=Image option.  What does
>one do with a DB image?

Short answer: yes.

There is a very important point with replication--if the replication
target runs a TSM server, the TSM server process must *not* be running
during replication.

Virtually all replication technology is application-agnostic; i.e., the
replication process doesn't care what the data looks like--it just moves
bytes from source to target. If you replicate a TSM db to a target box,
and the target box has a hot TSM server process running against the
database, you'll corrupt it in a flash. If you want failover capability,
great pain must be taken to insure that the replication link is closed
before starting the target machine's process.

If your replication technology is solid, you should be able to run a TSM
db backup during replication.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
  Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) AIX
Office 262.521.5627