ADSM-L

Re: Choosing between interface cards

2005-06-28 09:29:46
Subject: Re: Choosing between interface cards
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:29:38 -0500
If you have multiple network cards on the same network, the card with
the lowest IP address will be used. If you have multiple networks the
interface defined in dsm.opt/dsm.sys will be used.

Our config -- three networks: public, used by all systems, server is
adsm.nibco.com. Private, used for db server to application interaction,
server is adsm-pri.nibco.com. And for the small number of high-volume
systems, our dedicated backup network, server is at adsm-bkp.nibco.com.

Our dsm.opt (AIX systems) just has adsm as a server name. The various
dsm.sys files map servername adsm to server address adsm, adsm-pri, or
adsm-bkp.

And for ease in schlepping things around, all these 'adsm' addresses are
just CNAME entries in our DNS pointing to the actual server and its
interfaces.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc