ADSM-L

Re: MountPoints within MountPoints

2005-06-22 13:38:26
Subject: Re: MountPoints within MountPoints
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:37:55 -0600
> if I mount my drive G as dirAB, using DISKPART, in C:\dirA\, TSM will
back
> up all the files in dirA, as normal, when it discovers dirAB it will
> create a filespace on the server.

> Will this filespace be called \\machine\dirAB or \\machine\G$ ?

Well, of course you can always try it yourself with a small test
environment and see what happens :-)

When TSM comes across C:\dirA, it will:

- back up any regular files and directories that exist under C:\dirA, as
usual
- back up the C:\dirA\dirAB junction point (but not its contents)

The mountpoint will be treated as a separate "file system" named
\\machine\dirA\dirAB

For example:

C:\>dir c:\dirA
 Volume in drive C is Local Disk
 Volume Serial Number is 2C38-B794

 Directory of c:\dirA

               1 File(s)            106 bytes
               4 Dir(s)  19,119,005,696 bytes free

C:\>dsmc incremental c:\dirA\ -subdir=yes
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
Command Line Backup/Archive Client Interface
  Client Version 5, Release 3, Level 0.7
  Client date/time: 06/22/2005 10:31:26
(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2005. All Rights
Reserved.

Node Name: AMR-DESKTOP
Session established with server BABYLON5: Windows
  Server Version 5, Release 3, Level 0.0
  Server date/time: 06/22/2005 10:31:30  Last access: 06/20/2005 17:10:37

Incremental backup of volume 'c:\dirA\'
Directory-->                   0 \\amr-desktop\c$\dirA [Sent]
Directory-->                   0 \\amr-desktop\c$\dirA\dirAA [Sent]
Directory-->                   0 \\amr-desktop\c$\dirA\dirAB [Sent]
Normal File-->               106 \\amr-desktop\c$\dirA\fileA [Sent]
Normal File-->               106 \\amr-desktop\c$\dirA\dirAA\fileAA [Sent]
Successful incremental backup of '\\amr-desktop\c$\dirA\*'

Total number of objects inspected:        5
Total number of objects backed up:        5
Total number of objects updated:          0
Total number of objects rebound:          0
Total number of objects deleted:          0
Total number of objects expired:          0
Total number of objects failed:           0
Total number of bytes transferred:     1.95 KB
Data transfer time:                    0.00 sec
Network data transfer rate:            0.00 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate:          0.97 KB/sec
Objects compressed by:                    0%
Elapsed processing time:           00:00:02

C:\>dsmc query options domain
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
Command Line Backup/Archive Client Interface
  Client Version 5, Release 3, Level 0.7
  Client date/time: 06/22/2005 10:32:55
(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2005. All Rights
Reserved.

Node Name: AMR-DESKTOP
Session established with server BABYLON5: Windows
  Server Version 5, Release 3, Level 0.0
  Server date/time: 06/22/2005 10:32:56  Last access: 06/22/2005 10:31:30

                   DOMAIN: Default ALL-LOCAL
                           \\amr-desktop\c$
                           \\amr-desktop\f$
                           SYSTEMOBJECT
                           \\amr-desktop\c$\dirA\dirAB

C:\>

> Also, how will an image backup deal with this mountpoint? Will it
traverse
> the directory to include the mounted filesystem in the image? I have my
> doubts but one never knows..

In answer to your question, no. Image backup is a physical backup of the
partition; it does not involve itself with the underlying directory
structure.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-06-22
06:28:34: