ADSM-L

Re: Need backup dates of files on a specific tape...

2005-06-21 14:50:22
Subject: Re: Need backup dates of files on a specific tape...
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:50:07 -0600
Ahh, Ok adding to that query...

With a 'q content tape f=d" you get the file name and the size.

        This is tedious, but assuming that you are only looking for the date of
a certain file or just a few files, you should be able to go to the client that
backed it up and do a "q backup /file/path/name -inactive=yes" (or bring up the
GUI and look at the copies of that file that TSM knows about.

        If the sizes change a little each day, then you could make an educated
guess of which file it is. This date can be double checked with a 'q vol BLABLA
f=d" the date of the last read on the tape should be more recent than the file
you think is on it.

        If this is one of those files that never changes size or perhaps only
very slightly, it may not be enough to pick it out.

        Nothing can get it for certain, but this might give you a good
probability.

Ben