ADSM-L

Re: 15,000,000 + files on one directory backup

2005-06-18 14:08:41
Subject: Re: 15,000,000 + files on one directory backup
From: William Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:08:42 -0400
>From the movie "Blazing Saddles" ... You use your tongue better than a $20
>...you-know-what. Couldn't have said it better. Heck, I
just wish I could have said it as good! Don't ever leave us!!!!!!! :-)

In the case of this 15M+ server, it was the imaging vender that architected
this. I've gotten a lot of suggestions from the list
over the past days and I'll try some of them, but I will suggest that they
split this 2TB filesystem into smaller parts based on the
G:\IMAGES\<region>\. Put each region on its own drive. This is also on an EMC
Symmetrix. Another upper management mis-decision they
have to contend with is that the mainframe and open systems must share the same
technology. Hence the EMC Symmetrix and the 3494
with 3590E drives. Both technologies are somewhat limiting their open system
options. I don't' mean to dis' the 3494...it's a good
box, but the 3590E capacity is hurting them. Plus the speed. Their daily backup
is getting large enough that soon they may not be
able to meet the vaulting deadline.

Bill Boyer
"Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield" - ??