ADSM-L

Re: Backup of large server (15+ Million objects)

2005-06-16 03:38:46
Subject: Re: Backup of large server (15+ Million objects)
From: Daniel Sparrman <Daniel.Sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:38:15 +0200
Hi Bill

With replication you mean asynchronous replication(like PPRC on ESS or
TC/IP mirroring with a product like DoubleTake)?

That wont help you solve the issue. One virus attack on that server and
it's history as the replication is on a hardware basis; it will replicate
the virus in real-time and when your fileserver guys finally discovers
they've been hit by a virus, it'll be too late ... Replication(or remote
mirroring) is never a solution to protect the data, it only protects your
data from hardware issues, not logical issues.

One way of going would be to use some sort of flash copy where you do a
flashcopy on a scheduled basis(for example, every 4 hour). This way of
going will never protect you entirely, you still risk loosing data(for
example, the server is destroyed 3 hours and 49 minutes from the last
flash copy... means you probably lost alot of data).

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 TÄBY
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

Bill Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
2005-06-15 18:07
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Backup of large server (15+ Million objects)

>From what I'm reading and understanding (which may be 2 entirely different
things!!) junction points just let me create a link between directories.
Kinda like hard/soft links in Unix (ln  command). Mount points let me take
a drive and mount it on a directory instead of a new drive letter.

I want to go the other way...take a directory and make it a drive letter
or a new filesystem to TSM. Even if I could split this 15million object
filespace into 3 or more separate filespaces I think I could get a backup
done in a reasonable time...or even get it done! Right now it just plain
doesn't finish. Mostly the scheduler service dies and the backup fails.

IMAGE backups aren't an optoin with 3590E drives and "K" media. I would be
here forever doing the backup and then I couldn't carry all the tapes! :-)

Any ideas or suggestions?? One optoin they are looking at is just
replicating this volume to another location instead of or in addition to
backups (if I can get it to run).

Bill

> Actually with both Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 you can create what is
like a
> mount point in Unix land. Search MS's site for "junction point" OR
"mount
> point".
>

> Bill Boyer wrote:
> This is a single drive letter, G:, so I can't separate it into multiple
nodes or
> even schedules. Plus virtualmountpoint is only valid for Unix's, not
Windoze.