ADSM-L

Re: Splitting files across tapes

2005-06-09 12:14:59
Subject: Re: Splitting files across tapes
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 12:14:47 -0400
Wow, that's interesting!

I'll set up some tests myself.  Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
William Colwell
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 5:59 PM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

Hi Wanda,

I have some real data which might mean something for your question.  I
am in
the process of moving all the files on one server into collocation
groups.
I am copying tapes to sequential disk to do this.  The sizes of full
disk
volumes vary a lot which might mean that an aggregate won't go across
disk
base sequential volumes.  The data, see the Est. cap for the full
volumes --

tsm: XXX>q vol stg=seqdisk2

Volume Name                  Storage         Device         Estimated
Pct      Volume
                             Pool Name       Class Name      Capacity
Util      Status
------------------------     -----------     ----------     ---------
-----     --------
/seqdisk2/cgseq2_000         SEQDISK2        SEQDISK2         2,016.0
100.0       Full
/seqdisk2/cgseq2_001         SEQDISK2        SEQDISK2         2,037.0
100.0       Full
/seqdisk2/cgseq2_002         SEQDISK2        SEQDISK2         2,016.9
100.0       Full
/seqdisk2/cgseq2_003         SEQDISK2        SEQDISK2         2,036.7
100.0       Full
/seqdisk2/cgseq2_004         SEQDISK2        SEQDISK2         2,043.4
100.0       Full
/seqdisk2/cgseq2_005         SEQDISK2        SEQDISK2         2,045.1
100.0       Full
/seqdisk2/cgseq2_006         SEQDISK2        SEQDISK2         2,035.0
100.0       Full
/seqdisk2/cgseq2_007         SEQDISK2        SEQDISK2         2,042.4
100.0       Full
/seqdisk2/cgseq2_008         SEQDISK2        SEQDISK2         2,008.0
100.0       Full
/seqdisk2/cgseq2_009         SEQDISK2        SEQDISK2         2,041.1
100.0       Full
/seqdisk2/cgseq2_00A         SEQDISK2        SEQDISK2         2,034.3
100.0       Full
/seqdisk2/cgseq2_00B         SEQDISK2        SEQDISK2         2,048.0
6.8     Filling
/seqdisk2/cgseq2_00C         SEQDISK2        SEQDISK2         2,048.0
0.0      Empty
/seqdisk2/cgseq2_00D         SEQDISK2        SEQDISK2         2,048.0
0.0      Empty
/seqdisk2/cgseq2_01F         SEQDISK2        SEQDISK2         2,048.0
0.0      Empty
/seqdisk2/cgseq2_020         SEQDISK2        SEQDISK2         2,024.7
100.0       Full

Hope this helps,

Bill Colwell