ADSM-L

Re: Adaptive Subfile backups

2005-06-09 12:13:26
Subject: Re: Adaptive Subfile backups
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 12:13:01 -0400
Works great, less filling!

It's pretty simple to set up, just turn on at the server with a SET,
then a couple of parms to set in the dsm.opt file (or a client option
set on the server).

I haven't used it since the 4.2 client/server, don't have those
WAN/desktops to back up anymore.
But at one time I was using it on LAN desktops as well, because a huge
chunk of my backups were large (500MB-1GB) .pst files that changed
daily.  Subfile backup changed those to BLOCK backups instead - saved a
huge amount of work daily.

I don't back up those machines any more, or I wouild still be using it.
Never had any problem doing restores, and we did several full bare-metal
restores.

Only gotcha is that you may want to think twice if you are NOT using
collocation.  With subfile turned on, for every file you want to restore
you have to restore 2 files:  the base file and the delta file.  If you
are using collocation you won't notice; if you aren't using collocation
that means 2 tape mounts instead of 1.

Also, I believe the upper limit on file size for subfile backups is
still 2GB?
Anything files larger than that, get sent in toto.

Try it, you'll like it!
Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)