ADSM-L

Re: Conflicting slot counts

2005-06-08 20:48:57
Subject: Re: Conflicting slot counts
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:48:41 -0400
On Jun 8, 2005, at 6:57 PM, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:

Why is my AIX TSM server lying about the "slot count" in my 3583 Library ?

When I check the 3583 via the panel, it says there are 3-free slots.

TSM refuses to check any more tapes into this library, saying it is full !

Yes, I have done an audit of the library (barcodes).......numerous times !

I'm no 3583 expert, but perhaps this entry in its manual explains it:

"Though the total number of slots available per storage column is 19, the server can only access 18 slots because the fixed, nonaddressable slot at the top of columns 2, 4, and 5 is reserved for cleaning cartridges and is not available. The library’s bar code reader cannot read the label of a cartridge that is stored in the fixed slot."

I believe that the AutoClean dialog will report cleaning tape population of those reserved slots.

The manual doesn't make clear if the overall slots count reported by the library includes the reserved slots.

If this doesn't agree with your library situation, perhaps you could post more details, as in total slots count, number of columns present, and where the free slots are located: this may help with the analysis.

   Richard Sims