ADSM-L

Advice needed for EMC CX500 setup

2005-06-06 13:14:35
Subject: Advice needed for EMC CX500 setup
From: PAC Brion Arnaud <Arnaud.Brion AT PANALPINA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 19:13:26 +0200
Hi list,

I need some guidance for setup of a brand new EMC array, equipped with
10 FC drives, 133GB each. TSM server (5.3.1) will be running on AIX 5.3.
My goal is to use those disks for following purposes :
- TSM DB 70 GB
- TSM log 13 GB
- TSM primary pools : all of the remaining space

Questions :

1) EMC recommands using RAID3 for disk to disk backup -> should I create
2 raid groups : one raid5 for TSM DB and logs, one raid3 for diskpools ?

2) if using raid5 for DB and log, should I create 2 raid groups, each
one using different physical disks : one for the DB, the other for the
logs, or is the performance penalty neglectible if both are on the same
disks ?
3) I plan using raw volumes for DB and LOGS (no TSM or AIX mirroring, I
trust EMC's raid): what is the best setup : 1 big TSM volume or several
smaller ?  If using several volumes should they be built using different
LUN's, or could I create several LV's on the same LUN.

So many possibilities, that I'm a bit lost ...  So if you have good
experience in this domain, your help will be welcome !
TIA.
Cheers

Arnaud

******
Panalpina Management Ltd., Basle, Switzerland, CIT Department
Viadukstrasse 42, P.O. Box 4002 Basel/CH
Phone:  +41 (61) 226 11 11, FAX: +41 (61) 226 17 01
Direct: +41 (61) 226 19 78
e-mail: arnaud.brion AT panalpina DOT com
******