ADSM-L

Windows SIS and RIS

2005-06-03 11:21:29
Subject: Windows SIS and RIS
From: Neil Schofield <neil.schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:11:19 +0100
I don't know if anyone is backing up a Microsoft Remote Installation
Services (RIS) server with TSM but I'd be interested to know if anyone is
using Single Instance Storage (SIS) in conjunction with it.

We've got a RIS server that runs the Single Instance Storage Groveler
service and is backed up daily with TSM. However I've come across an IBM
technical article (ref. 1177720) that suggests that we may not be able to
recover the data from our TSM backup. Having spoken to IBM Support, they
pretty much confirm it.

I don't like the work-around of using NTBACKUP as it requires a lot more
space, and sort of defeats the object of having an enterprise backup
infrastructure. This leaves me the DCR route.

There's a Microsoft KB article (263027) relating to this that says "Your
backup program does not need to understand SIS-linked files but it should
understand NTFS file system reparse points."  Before I submit the DCR, does
anybody know where we are with support for reparse files. I know there have
been problems with HSM stub files, but I thought reparse files were
fundamentally supported by the (latest) TSM client?

Regards
Neil Schofield
Yorkshire Water Services Ltd.

Visit http://www.yorkshirewater.com/yourhome/garden.html to pick up some water
saving tips for your garden this spring.

YORKSHIRE WATER - WINNER OF THE UTILITY OF THE YEAR AWARD

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available at http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm
Yorkshire Water Services Limited
Registered Office Western House Halifax Road Bradford BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682