ADSM-L

Re: LTO2 unreliability

2005-06-01 15:19:54
Subject: Re: LTO2 unreliability
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 15:19:30 -0400
We've been using LTO2 here since December, 2003.  We have 14 IBM 3580
drives (SCSI), and have replaced 5 drives in that time period (once
twice).  We move about 1.5 TB/day.  We make heavy use of collocation, so we
see 300-900 mount cycles/day (perhaps more important than bytes
moved).  Overall, we view this failure rate as acceptable.  Most of these
replacements were done aggressively (i.e., they may not have actually been
necessary), but the vendor (ADIC) decided to replace the drive to minimize
possible future pain.

I think the LTO1 drives may have been a tad more reliable.  Make sure you
have the latest Atape driver.

..Paul