ADSM-L

Re: OK: TSM on Linux (Redhat ES 2.1)

2005-06-01 15:00:45
Subject: Re: OK: TSM on Linux (Redhat ES 2.1)
From: "John E. Vincent" <adsm-l-alias AT CLACORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 15:00:19 -0400
That describes our environment almost exactly. We've not had any real
problems other than issues with the tape driver. We're running RHEL3 and
we have 4GB of memory in that box.

We're getting ready to move to an AIX LPAR for our TSM install as soon
as we can get our p570 woes worked out.

I would highly suggest TSM on Linux/Intel for any initial investement.
Ours has scaled quite nicely and we would continue running it there if
we weren't planning on running moving our production db2 over to AIX.

Charlie Hurtubise wrote:
I've been running a TSM server 5.2.3.2 on an IBM x335/336 for almost two
years, using Redhat ES 2.1 (2.4.9-e.27) with an IBM 3582 tape library
with two LTO2 Fiber Channel tape drives. 1 x Pentium 2.8 Ghz, 1 gig of
memory.

We are not a big TSM shop, with 10 major servers (AIX, several Redhat
Linux, HP/UX Win2003, Win2000 with QLogic fiber cards to an IBM SAN
FasT700 with IBM Fiber Switches) and maybe 30 desktops, all being backed
up nightly, some at noon too.

Once the TSM server halted itself, but otherwise runs very well. We only
backup maybe 50-60 gigs a day. Just make sure you have all the latest
IBM 3582 tape library FC firmware updates etc.

Charlie Hurtubise
Tecsys Inc.