ADSM-L

Re: Migration of TSM server

2005-06-01 14:46:42
Subject: Re: Migration of TSM server
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:46:32 -0400
==> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:56:30 +0100, Neil Bowen <Neil.Bowen AT OFCOM.ORG DOT
UK> said:

> The powers-that-be wish to migrate this to a Windows 2003 box using the
> same tape library - and soon. It's a political decision and not really
> up for debate at the moment. The first TSM consultants that I've
> approached have said that we cannot retain the legacy data and that if
> we install TSM onto a Windows server, all of the data will be lost
> unless we dual-access the library and retain the Solaris TSM. As the
> library is full and then some, that isn't really an option even if the
> politics wouldn't get in the way.

> My question - Is this the case?

Not really, but you do have a bottleneck in the transition from server A to
server B.  You'll have to import and export each nodes' data.

If you can take your time on this, then you can just move one node at a time
from old to new, and redirect the backup client to the new backup server.

I did this on a large scale last year.

- Allen S. Rout