ADSM-L

Re: When Good Tapes Go Bad

2005-05-27 09:52:47
Subject: Re: When Good Tapes Go Bad
From: William Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:52:05 -0400
We use the TSM Operational Reporter to report on any tapealert messages(
MSGNO=8948,8949,8950,8951) and and I/O errors
(MSGNO=1401,8943,8381) and analyse the errors. If it's a tape problem, normally
we MOVE DATA and let it go ack to scratch. If we get
another error....out it goes! If it's a read error, MOVE DATA to clear it off
(or as much as it can) restore any data that couldn't
be moved...and out it goes! Actually returned for warrenty replacement.

Now on our 3584 fibre attached library, we seem to see a lot more errors being
generated from the drive that is also the library
control point. I saw some referenced on this list about this same thing and it
was suggested that these were not "real" errors, but
would be fixed on the next firmware for the library. We still go through the
above exercise anyway. Data is too important!!

Bill Boyer
"Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield" - ??