ADSM-L

Backing up VMWare from Guest -vs- backing up .dsk files

2005-05-26 10:05:37
Subject: Backing up VMWare from Guest -vs- backing up .dsk files
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 07:05:19 -0700
I have quite a few customers that are running VMWare and so far all of them
have decided to just backup from within the virtual machine for the following
reasons:

1)  Being that TSM is licensed per physical CPU there is no cost savings in
using a single client license running on the ESX server to backup the .dsk
files.

2) When you backup inside the VM you can either restore the data back onto a
new VM or onto a real server if you like. Some of my customers run the VM at
their site but have separate old servers at the hot site for recovery.

3) Most of the time VM's end up being smaller applications.  As a result there
really isn't a huge need to improve the backup or restore time. I've been told
that they can still run an image based backup from within the VM as well.  I
haven't done this myself but if this is the case then you could still get a
fast image backup and restore.

4) Who will officially support problems when you run into problems with backing
up the VM Ware files and restores don't work.

With those reasons above and the recent posts about issues with backup and
recovery of the VM Files I'm wondering what reasons their are for backing up
the .dsk files.  Still, I'm sure there are reasons out there.  I'd be
interested in hearing from the people who are choosing to backup the .dsk files
why they decided to go that route.