ADSM-L

Re: Vmware guest "hot" backups

2005-05-25 15:35:41
Subject: Re: Vmware guest "hot" backups
From: Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 21:34:54 +0200
On Wednesday 25 May 2005 17:23, Steve Schaub wrote:
> All,
>
> My team & I would be interested in speaking with anyone who has been
> successful in using TSM to backup/restore what the database folks would
> call a "hot" backup of VMWare guest machines (i.e. backing up the .vmdk
> files while the guest is in redo mode).
>
> We have run several test backup/restores, some less successful than others.
> We are using ESX 2.5 currently.
Me too.

> If you have gotten this to work consistantly and would be willing to share
> your experience, please email me directly: steve_schaub AT bcbst DOT com
> <mailto:steve_schaub AT bcbst DOT com>
I have a backup script that's working fine for me.  It is based on a backup
script of vmware, but without the bugs :).  And trust me, there are a lot of
them.
My script is "smart" enough to only add a redo when i'ts needed.  If you add
too much redo logs or you try to remove a redo log that's not there, your
vmware image halts and asks for user input.

Mail me if you are intersted.  I can mail the backup script, but I have to
clean it up first.

I still have to do a test restore, but I don't think that that will be a
problem.  The images that I backup are not that hugh (a few gig each).

Stef