ADSM-L

Re: Encryption

2005-05-25 11:56:47
Subject: Re: Encryption
From: "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITIGROUP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:55:07 -0400
My concerns with TSM based encryption are:

1) Since encrypted data does not compress well the TSM clients must do
both the compression and encryption.
2) TSM compression and encryption can be a performance hit on the client
increasing back-up time and further degrading performance during the
backup period.
3) With TSM encryption the data is encrypted before it leaves the client
so all copies of the data are encrypted.
4) With TSM encryption there are keys for each client that must be
managed.  This could mean hundreds-thousands of keys in some
environments.  I understand that TSM 5.3 does that management for you.
5) There is no simple way to encrypt data already backed up and on tape.

For these reasons I am investigating using an encryption appliance that
sits transparently between the TSM server and the tape drives used to
write offsite tapes:
1) The appliance does the compression & encryption in hardware so there
is no performance hit to the clients.
2) Only the backup copies going off site are encrypted, it is not all or
nothing.
3) There is only one set of encryption keys to manage.
4) Data already backed up and on tape can be encrypted using the "move
data" command.
5) Stronger encryption than that provided by TSM is available.

H. Milton Johnson