ADSM-L

Re: Scratch tape questions SOLVED

2005-05-18 13:10:01
Subject: Re: Scratch tape questions SOLVED
From: Dave Zarnoch <zarnocd AT NATIONWIDEPROVIDENT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:09:16 -0400
Dave,

YOU DA MAN!

I ran the command and found UNAVAILABLE tapes.

These tapes were located in an "overflow" location in our server room.

I issued the command:

upd vol <VOL> access=readw

Now, TSM is requesting the tapes and awaiting mounts.

I think what happened was:

A prior admin had checked out some tapes to an overflow location
but did not monitor the system for requests.

I created a script that emails me when a request is generated.

The tapes that were marked UNAVAILABLE were created after
TSM gave up on the requests in the past.

Sound right?

Thanks!

DaveZ

                      David E Ehresman
                      <deehre01@LOUISVI        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      LLE.EDU>                 cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: [ADSM-L] Scratch
tape questions
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      05/18/2005 10:53
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

>>Why is TSM attempting to use this tape for reclamation when it has been
labeled as "vault" and is "offsite"?<<

Its not.  TSM is trying to using the primary pool version of the data to
recreated the copy pool version of the data and is unable to do so because
it is not for some reason able to read the primary pool version of the
data.  Check to see if you have any primary pool tapes that are UNAVAILABLE
(q vol access=unavail) or whether the primary pool tapes are being used by
other processes when the reclaim is running.

David Ehresman
University of Louisville