ADSM-L

Re: Constant Hot TSM Server

2005-05-16 14:08:47
Subject: Re: Constant Hot TSM Server
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:07:25 -0500
ARGH!

My database is 30 GB. And I format it as 3 10 GB volumes. Our hot-site
config has three fiber HBAs into the disk, with SDD used for virtual
pathing; the format/format/db restore takes about 45 minutes.

They didn't, by chance, have the tape drives fiber-attached via the same
HBAs as the disk, did they? Our current hot-site contract specs six LTO1
fiber attach via two additional fiber HBAs.

If they didn't have the tape and disk on the same HBAs I would suspect a
funky microcode issue.

FWIW, our hot-site contract is expiring this year and we are in the
process of re-bidding it; I'm being very carefull to spec the disk
subsystem, the tape subsystem, and the individual host system fiber
requirements properly -- this is an easy area to get burned in.

(I'll let someone else address the NFS mounting for the mirror -- but
the thought of doing that over a significant distance scares the heck
out of me).

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc