ADSM-L

TSM Database - unused space question

2005-05-12 06:38:28
Subject: TSM Database - unused space question
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:52:18 +0100
Hi all

I have a question regarding database fragmentation. At present we have a
14GB database that is 74% utilised. However, we have been running TSM for a
few years now and as such I was wondering how accurate that percentage
utilization figure really is. Is there a way to tell how much of the
database is just fragmented unused space? Is it necessary to do periodic
unload/load/audit procedures?

I am a bit concerned about doing a full unload/load etc as I assume it can
take a very long time to run, and indeed that there is a possibility of
running into severe problems.

Any ideas, tips, thoughts on this subject would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Farren Minns
Solaris System Admin / Oracle DBA
IT - Hosting Services
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and confidential and intended solely
for the named recipient(s).  If you are not a named recipient,
you must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information,
open any attachment, or take any action in reliance on it.  If you
have received the e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete
the e-mail.

Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
individual sender, unless otherwise stated.  Although this e-mail has
been scanned for viruses you should rely on your own virus check, as
the sender accepts no liability for any damage arising out of any bug
or virus infection.