ADSM-L

Re: Novell Groupwise ONline backup

2005-05-09 16:51:56
Subject: Re: Novell Groupwise ONline backup
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 15:48:08 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Mario Behring
>I need to perform an online backup of a Novell Groupwise
>environment using
>TSM ... does anybody knows how can I accomplish this ?

To get a proper backup of GroupWise files, you can do one of two things:

1. Shut down GroupWise, back up the files, and restart GroupWise.
2. Use a third-party open file manager app like St. Bernard's.

Many GroupWise users will use the regular TSM b/a client; however,
Novell does not support this, and will not guarantee the results. You'll
probably get good restores from such backups 9 times out of 10, but I
have seen failures because of the "fuzzy" nature of the backup.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
Office 262.521.5627