ADSM-L

Re: Recovery log filling up quickly, too quickly. Ideas?

2005-05-09 12:05:42
Subject: Re: Recovery log filling up quickly, too quickly. Ideas?
From: John C Dury <jdury AT DUQLIGHT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 12:04:55 -0400
As several people suggested, what is happening is that I have at least one
client session that is seemingly hung and causing the recovery log to be
pinned. I've tried cancelling the session but it doesn't work and just
hangs. It never seems to timeout either. Any other way to cancel the
session without having to take the whole server down? My recovery log is
filling up again and this hung session is causing the recovery log to be
pinned. Any clues why the session wouldn't ever timeout or also fail to be
cancelled?
J.

----- Forwarded by John C Dury/DLC on 05/09/2005 12:01 PM -----

             John C Dury/DLC

             AM                        ADSM-L
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Recovery log filling up quickly,
                                       too quickly. Ideas?

I have v5311 AIX server installed. The DB is not in roll forward mode.
There isn't anything that has changed recently that would be causing this.
It seems it might be a  bug in v5311 that doesn't let the recovery log
empty as it happens sporadically. Expiration which runs daily is suddenly
taking a much longer time to run also but also sporadically.   I checked
the number of objects per node in the DB to see if any have increased a
significant amount which would cause expiration to run longer, but
everything looks normal.  My recovery log is 12296 MB(90% full) and my DB
is 56480 MB (38.3% full). Any clues on what is going on here? How about a
way to empty the recovery log?
J.