ADSM-L

TSM app in initab

2005-05-05 15:37:37
Subject: TSM app in initab
From: Frank Lozano <frank.lozano AT VERIZON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 12:20:32 -0700
Hi all

TSM 5.1  (i know--should upgrade....$$)

Anyway, I'm new / responsibility fell on my lap.....

I noticed Tivoli app (dsmserv) must be restarted every once in a while
(25-30 days)  I'm finding out when all backups are missed except for the
server  itself (running client also).  I'm running AIX 5.2 and am
questioning:
1. Why the "/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/rc.adsmserv" in my server's inittab
is set to "once" rather than "respawn".  Wouldn't that keep the app running
and take care of this problem?
2.  There's a reason why I need to restart and I should be looking deeper?
3.  Am I messing with a symptom and cannot see the "big picture problem?

I took over this about 2 mos ago and had to restart twice.  Asked other
sites and was told that they have been fighting this same problem also
(their inittabs are also set to "once"--I'm certain the same person set
them up initially).  So I thought I'd send it to the forum.

Thanks in Advance for any direction on this,

Frank Lozano
Verizon - CA