ADSM-L

Re: Best OS for a TSM server

2005-05-03 12:16:09
Subject: Re: Best OS for a TSM server
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 18:15:39 +0200
Richard Sims wrote:
On May 3, 2005, at 11:25 AM, Stapleton, Mark wrote:

This naturally means you'll pay a lot more for a IBM pSeries server
than
you will for a comparably equipped Intel server.

To add a bit:  Look into the used marketplace.  We went that way, and
got high power (p650) at a low price.  Don't overlook SSA disk: it's
fast, highly reliable, configurable (RAID, etc.), and incredibly cheap,
as so many customers are giving up theirs as they head to SAN land.

The smaller p5 boxes are not too expensive either. Like the p6xx series
do have a decent amount of I/O available per CPU. You'll probably find
that you don't want more that one or maybe two FC or GE adapters in a
PCI bus.

We've used SSA for servers for many years and love it.

I've used SSA for servers (and IBM SP boxes) and have learned that more
than 20 MB/s on a SSA loop is impossible. It is dirt cheap to buy second
hand (but then again, so are the no-name FC disk arrays with high end FC
disks).

   Richard Sims

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams