ADSM-L

Re: binding TSM server to specific ip-addresses

2005-05-03 10:03:29
Subject: Re: binding TSM server to specific ip-addresses
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 16:03:10 +0200
Hi all,

Richard Sims wrote:
Remco -

Perhaps you could elaborate on how this would be useful? Having the
server ignore requests which come into the system via a certain path
doesn't seem productive.

It is, actually, from a security perspective. This way, one could
dedicate an instance to a subnet and be very sure it is impossible to
reach from other subnets.

One other use would be to have each instance listen on port 1500 of a
dedicated IP address (rather than a dedicated port on a shared IP
address), though I currently don't envision using TSM that way.

Anyway, what you envision seems better effected via a firewall
implemented at the environmental level (in the OS, or a router)
rather than in an application (TSM).

Host based firewalls could accomplish the same but:

1- add additional load to the host, unneeded since this could very
easily be programmed in the server
2- add additional cost in system administration
3- on AIX the is neither a built-in firewall, nor do any of the freeware
firewalls support AIX.
4- this is very easily implemented in the systemcalls required to set up
a TCP server anyway.

The network firewall is ineffective against hosts on the same subnet.
Not that I distrust these, but auditors might...

The reason I'd like to see this implemented in TSM is that the
application seems to be the proper place to configure the application. A
great many applications (webserver, ftp servers, dns servers etc.) all
provide this feature.

Richard Sims