ADSM-L

Re: Admin Password change

2005-04-28 08:08:24
Subject: Re: Admin Password change
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 08:07:11 -0400
Administrative sessions are used to establish and tailor schedules,
associate nodes with client schedules, and the like. The administrative
password employed in such work is independent of the password used by
the client for its sessions with the server. (But there's nothing to
keep the two passwords from being the same string.)

Your question needs to be qualified in terms of which administrator, as
distinguished by names and authority levels. Typically, a TSM server
has an administrator ID and password created by the person who set up
the server, and which is used for its global administration, thus
having System level authority. As nodes are registered, by default that
action will also create node administration IDs of the same names as
the nodes, with the same initial password. Thereafter, you can change
the node's client password and the node's administrator password
independently of each other. Changing the node administrator password
thus does not impact the activities of the client.

If you are concerned about effects, you can readily perform a
controlled test during quiet times, where you change the password and
try a client session, being ready to quickly change it back if needed
for any reason.

   Richard Sims