ADSM-L

Re: restore windows files to mac

2005-04-27 07:25:05
Subject: Re: restore windows files to mac
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:24:04 -0400
That's a frequently asked question. You can't access file systems which are alien to your operating system, and in particular which are not programmed into the TSM client.

But there are alternatives...
- The Mac can participate in a Windows network to access files.
- With the files resident or restored on another Windows system, you might try creating a Zip bundle of files on the Windows system, and FTP that to the Mac to unpack. - OS X does Samba nicely, where a Samba server might be used as an intermediary for transfer.

There is also a Microsoft method:

Remote Desktop Connection Client (RDC) Microsoft software which allows a Mac user to connect to a Windows-based computer and work with programs and files on that computer. To connect to a Windows-based computer, you need network access and permissions to connect to the computer, and the computer must be running Terminal Services or Remote Desktop Services. The following Windows
                                        products support Remote Desktop
                                        connections:
                                         Windows XP Professional
                                         Windows Server 2003