ADSM-L

Re: Disk gone bad, need help

2005-04-26 12:15:01
Subject: Re: Disk gone bad, need help
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:43:08 -0500
Eric,

I am going to assume you know the syntax of the following commands so I
will just give my answer at a high level if not post back and I will
give the exact syntax,

1. Remove the failed volume from tsm by doing either a del dbv.
2. Then define a new DB vol with the def dbv command, you can use the
f=XXX to format it to the size you need.
3. I know this sounds funny by now you need to delete the volume you
just created.  This will leave the formatted file on the OS file system.
4. Now you can use the def dbc command to get your self remirrored.

BTW, as an alternative to steps 2 and 3 you could go to the OS level and
do a dsmfmt command to create the DB volume as well, but I generally
like to do it all with in TSM.

As I said before, if you need the exact syntax please repost.  I will
need the exact filenames of the bad volume, the volume name it was
mirrored to, and the name of the new volume.

I hope that helps.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

Jones, Eric J wrote:

Good Morning.
We are running AIX 4.3.3 with TSM 4.1.3  (going into retirement soon)
We have a DB that is made up of 6 disk which are mirrored.
We had a disk go bad that was part of that pool of disk.
My question is what do I need to do after the disk is replaced to recover, TSM
stayed up no problem(very small DB, being retired soon).
Do I (logical volume/DB name on disk that went bad  -->  /dbaa1dk2/db mirrored
to /dbaa1dk8/db)
*         DSMFMT -m -db /dbaa1dk2/db 3404
                *         (not sure what to do about the DSMSERV FORMAT)
                *         define dbcopy /dbaa1dk3/db /dbaa1dk8/db

Have a Great Day,
Eric Jones

*  eric.j.jones AT lmco DOT com
*:   607-751-4133