ADSM-L

Re: TSM causing client disk contention

2005-04-26 11:23:48
Subject: Re: TSM causing client disk contention
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:15:24 -0400
Paul -

In Unix, at least, a less important process (the backup, in this case)
can be "reniced" to reduce its impact, giving the more important
processes a higher relative priority in accessing resources. There may
be a similar mechanism for Windows.

Incremental backups have a considerable impact because of the Active
Files list they have to juggle. You could evaluate whether a
-INCRBYDate type backup would be viable for the involved systems, where
there is no list overhead.

   Richard Sims