ADSM-L

Mount retention, the extreme case.

2005-04-25 14:13:40
Subject: Mount retention, the extreme case.
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:13:19 -0400
I did find a case in which I had difficulty getting a TSM library client to do
e.g. reclamation when I had mount retention set "wrong":

If you've got a library client which you've set to have access to two drives,
and mount retention set to some normal value on the library manager (say, 5
minutes)  you can enter a state in which a reclamation process does:

- Mount source volume
- Mount destination volume

[ copy data, finish with dest. ]

- Make mount request for new volume
- Get refused:  too many mount points
- Process fails, TSM admin gets irritated.

What I eventually did was set the library manager to have zero mount
retention, which fixed this.

My drives stay busy, with a line queueing up, most of the day.  So I didn't
mind the more-or-less immediate dismount.

- Allen S. Rout